Sunday 24 April 2011

Turbo Pascal Compiler Secrets

My first programming language was Basic which was soon replaced with Pascal. I started programming in Pascal in high school in early 1980s. At that time I was working on a CP/M computer which had Turbo Pascal installed. I still remember how easy was to write, compile and tun the program. Turbo Pascal was first developed by Anders Hejlsberg who later sold it to Borland. It was the most successful implementation of a Pascal compiler.

Later I was working on PC and Turbo Pascal was my primary programming tool. Since then Pascal is my favorite programming language. Now Turbo Pascal is replaced with Delphi but the beauty of Pascal programming language remains.

I was always wondering how Turbo Pascal compiler works, how the code is compiled. There are few places that promise to reveal Turbo Pascal internals. Many times I was thinking to write my own compiler but never started because I didn't know how to make one. Now, after I have read many books on compiler design, I know the algorithms and tricks but unfortunately have no time for such project.

Turbo_pascal

No comments:

Post a Comment