Monday 16 May 2011

Apple, iPad and Fashion

Anyone who dismisses the iPad as simply a big iPod touch is missing the point. Because of its size and the fact that it's based on an OS designed solely for touchscreen devices, the iPad could be called the first truly usable tablet. It's a great way to read, watch TV shows and movies, surf the Web (sans Flash, yes), take notes and even write longer-form items (with or without an add-on keyboard), and do a hundred other things. Businesses are finding ways to use them, as well.

With every new tablet released, pundits proclaim the arrival of an "iPad killer"- claims that echo the many false predictions regarding the fate of the iPhone. The fact is that the iPad has a big head start, and Apple and the huge community of developers will continue to make it better. There's no such thing as an iPad killer-get used to it.

iPad 2

The iPad 2 is here. All of you people who refuse to buy the first version of any product can now emerge from hiding and buy an Apple tablet device safely and securely.

Ipad-2

As with all new Apple products, the iPad 2 is fascinating because of the choices the company made about which features to add (cameras and a magnetic case), which ones to change (thickness and weight), and which ones to leave out (an iPhone 4 - class Retina display).

But for me, perhaps the most interesting thing about the iPad 2's release was the pair of Apple-created apps that appeared alongside it: Garage Band (which also runs on the original iPad) and iMovie (which ran on other iOS devices, but has now been expanded to run on the iPad 2).

Tapping Out Rhythms

Let's get this clear: I'm no musician. I can play a bit of piano and I can sort of sightread music. But my musical education ended when I was in my early teens. Over the years, I've noodled around a bit in the musical corners of Garage Band on the Mac. But I never had as much fun as I did in the first few hours I spent playing with GarageBand on the iPad 2. The introduction of "smart'' instruments and the tactile nature of the iPad make the difference, I think GarageBand's Smart Instruments eliminate the learning curve usually required to make pleasant sounds: Once I set my song in D major, the smart guitar transformed into eight complementary chords, which I could play it' by touching the chord name, strumming in the strings, or choosing one of four auto- g play styles. Within 15 minutes I had created f2 a multilayered track with guitar, bass, organ, and drum parts. (My apologies to Fountains of Wayne: I butchered "Hey Julie." But I had fun doing it.)

Now, the tactile thing: To use GarageBand on the Mac, you have to use a mouse or (if you're really cool) a USB keyboard or a guitar with a fancy input. Playing music with a standard keyboard isn't fulfilling. But tapping out chords on an iPad screen, and running your fingers over virtual guitar strings? Fun. It's that simple. Not that Garage Band on the iPad is frivolous or dumbed down.

Unless you just don't like music, you will never get more for your $5 than by buying GarageBand for your iPad.

Ipad2

Making Movies

iMovie on the iPhone showed that a simplified video-editing app could work on an iOS device. iMovie on the iPad 2 shows that it doesn't even have to be that simplified. The app actually makes the radical redesign of the Mac version of iMovie make sense. iMovie on the iPad isn't the same as iMovie on the Mac, but you can tell how the two are related, and I'd imagine that they'll become even more so in the future.

iMovie on the iPad has room for an editing timeline, a preview window, and a view into the iPad's video library, making it easy to pick clips and add them to your project. I was able to piece together a video, trim clips, set transitions, and even record a voice-over in no time at all.

Unfortunately, iMovie can't use video files that aren't in the specific format shot by iOS devices. That will limit its appeal until more cameras start to support the ability to shoot video in formats iOS devices can understand. As a result, I won't be using iMovie on the iPad to edit my home movies just yet. Unless, that is, I ditch my camcorder and just start shooting everything with my iPhone 4.

But that quibble aside, let's step back to appreciate what iMovie on the iPad represents. This is a tiny, thin tablet that can edit high-definition video files without breaking a sweat, and then package them up and shoot them off to YouTube or Vimeo. A few years ago my iMac struggled to edit SD video.It's amazing the strides Apple has made, and it's no wonder the company chose to release this new version of iMovie to show off the increased power of the iPad 2. It's impressive.

The App Story

These days, so many stories about Apple focus on the success of the App Store, especially the sheer number of apps that are available. With the release of iMovie and GarageBand, Apple is sending a slightly different message: It's not just the number of apps; it's the quality of those apps-and of the devices that run them.

Steve-jobs1

Conclusion

Finally, let 's send all the best wishes we can to Steve Jobs and his family. He's on a medical leave of absence again and I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later what the reason is this time but let's hope he recovers quickly. I'm not saying that for Apple's sake as I think the company will be just fine without him. Hopefully he'll return fully recovered to the helm of Apple during the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment